Monday, September 12, 2011

THAILAND Letter home: 9/12

Sawadii krob krua!

Hope all is well in the homeland since I'm just hanging out here in THAILAND!!!! What!?

Anyway, pretty much Thailand is the greatest place on earth. I might only think that because I haven't seen any giant spiders yet but I think it would still be pretty great.

So we got into Bangkok around 10:30am on the seventh. The flight was pretty good. We slept alot. Like I said on the phone, I was able to place a Book of Mormon on the way to San Francisco with the sweetest man but on the other flights I was sitting next to missionaries but most people spoke Chinese so I doubt I could've communicated much of the message. President and Sister Smith were there to greet us at the airport with the assistants and some other zone leaders. We packed our selves into 2 vans and were off to President's house. \

First off, driving in Bangkok is kind of crazy. There are pretty much no rules. We had a couple close calls on the ride over. The assistants said people don't have very many accidents but there are tons of just misses haha. So the humidity and heat, not as all as bad as I expected it to be. Maybe when the hot season rolls around I will take that back but honestly, it hasn't been a big deal for me. I was way surprised.

Ok, so we are driving to President's house and just chatting with the assistants about the possibilities for our different areas. All the sisters were in this van together. So they're going through the different places and one of the assistants says, "We just passed Sister King's area." What?! haha totally gave it away. I definitely don't think he meant to say that but there it was. So yes, I am staying in Bangkok. I'll explain more in a bit.

President and Sister Smith are awesome. Sister Smith is so sweet and loving. She was really fun to talk to. President seems great. I'm sure I'll get to know him better pretty quickly. After a quick lunch at their house we traveled over to the office to do some paper work and have interviews. Then it was time for the Dan Jones experience...

So 12 experienced elders and sisters came and met us and we were paired off. I got matched up with Sister Hirschi (hershey, like the chocolate, yum!) and we were supposed to go out inviting and the goal was to place a Book of Mormon. The greenie was supposed to lead and do the majority of the inviting. Pretty much the scariest thing ever. I will admit, I was terrified! Like I said inviting and contacting is the scaries part of this whole deal for me. Sis. Hirschi was super great and started out for me just to show me the ropes. Then it was me. I did it! With help of course but we gave away like 5 or 6 pass-along cards and I was able to place a Book of Mormon with a nice lady who gave us her information. One of the other people we contacted seemed really interested as well. Twice, the people I was talking to were very uninterested and tried to ignore me and one even walked away but after those two is when we found the more interested people so it ended on a good note.

Ok, so that night we went back to President's and were able to get into bed early so hopefully we could catch up on sleep. The next morning it was off to moves meeting to meet our new trainers!

I'm pretty sure I got the best one, no big deal. Sister Naegle (pronounced naegly) is so great! I love her! She is so supportive but so good at talking to people and planning and teaching and pretty much everything. Sadly, I only get her for 7 weeks and then she dies (goes home). I guess I get two trainers. I'm her first luug (kid). We are serving in a part of Bangkok called Sapan Suun and it really is great. It's not the heart of Bangkok but it's still cityish but there are tons of families and students, perfect! We live on the fourth floor of an apartment building with two other sisters. The areas just switched a bit and now there are four sisters and two elders in our area which is apparently unusual. The apartment is pretty nice, there are a few issues with leaks and stuff like that but it's really open and the air conditioning and everything work just fine.

I got my blue bike with a cute yellow helmet (I really had no choice in the matter) and we ride it around everyday. I'll send pictures in a week or two so you can see everything.

Anyway, on my first night we had a teaching appointment with a lady named Phii Nang (phii is a respectful term for those older than you). It was the second time we were visiting her. She is super cute. Thai people are sooooooooooo tiny. In general at least. She really likes reading the Book of Mormon and prays morning and night. So we were reviewing Heavenly Father and families with her (I didn't actually understand a ton of it) and I had born my testimony and shared a scripture and such and Sister Naegle says, in Thai of course, Sister King has a question for you. She asks me in English to commit Phii Nang to baptism. Haha So I did. And guess what, she accepted!!!!!!!!! My first dater! hahahaha my ma (trainer) was super pround haha. It was kind of surreal. I love these people though. I can hardly understand them but I just love every single one of them.

So that was a great first experience but the next day was great too and full of lots of other new things.

I experienced my first flood (up to my calves) and the ward gave me a new nickname haha, Sister Suay (beautiful) but I don't really have time to write more right now. I will have a better outline next week.

Just know I'm safe and loving it. Love you!


Chog Dii

Sister King



No comments:

Post a Comment