Monday, November 7, 2011

FOOD, ENGLISH, AND TRACKING Letter Home: 9/26

Hello all!
Sounds like things are going well back in Salt Lake City. It's weird to think that it is still Sunday over in your neck of the woods. I get these emails at around noon or 1:00 on Monday here. So around midnight there? Not really sure.
So I really am planning on sending pictures but we're in Asoke right now and I didn't bring my cord to hook the camera up.
We just rode the klong monster (the boats) into the main part of Bangkok and we're getting ready to learn some Muay Thai in a bit haha. It should be an experience. Apparently we're learning with the National team and coach. No big deal. I'll let you know how that goes! I probably won't remember everything I want to tell you right now either. I don't have my journal with me. We were planning on emailing later but I'll try to remember.
Okay, so you ask about food and I keep forgetting to mention it. It's delicious, that's all there is to it. We really don't cook at all. The microwave is about the only thing we have to cook with. We've made like ramen and soupy stuff a couple times but that is about it. For breakfast I usually just eat yogurt, apples, and granola (the milk here is disgustingly sweet, I can't use it like regular milk, it's just not the same) but the rest of the day we eat off the street. You can pretty much find whatever you want. Sis. Naegle says I have a pretty good pet (spicy) tolerance for a greenie. I can handle a bit. She loves pet though. I'll work up to it though :) I have yet to try something I don't like and I try to try something different every day. I've only eaten a few things twice. When I remeber their names I'll tell you more about them. I love the pineapple that is everywhere though. You just get it in a bag and eat it with a stick, aroy! (delicious) Fried rice is super good, we had a thai version of macaroni that was really good the other day. They have yummy buns with like black bean filling and stuff like that that I really like. Their desserts are super different. Not as heavy or sweet and usually healthy for you. They think corn is a dessert so it's in things a lot. Nam kane sye is like sugar water and coconut milk on ice with chunks of coconut or taro root and gummies, Thailand is all about the gummies. They are in everything. My trainer loves these hot dog things called luug chien. The regular one is a hotdog on a stick but they have different fish and other meats and fake meats that they grill or fry and then dip in yummy sauce. When we're in a hurry she loves to get those. Everything is way good though and I have yet to get sick at all. Oh, and the best thing about Thailand? My meals are usually like a dollar in american money. It's great! I will miss getting this much, way good food for a dollar when it would be at least $8 or $10 back home.
We ride our bikes everyday. In some of the other Bangkok areas they don't but we do. There isn't really a subway in our part of the city but there is a system in Bangkok. When we have to go farther we take Son Taws, the bus, or a taxi if it's worth the money. Son Taws are fun. Just a bunch of people packed into the back of a truck. It's pretty great. We pass out lot's of English papers that way though.
I taught English by myself this week. I taught the advanced class, mostly because I wouldn't be able to understand anyone. Sis. Naegle went and taught the gospel so some of the members were our companions. It's fun seeing English from a different perspective. Thai seems so simple in comparison.
On Thursday, we had to go back to the mission home area because there was training for our trainers. So we had switch-offs and I was with Sis. Knight! It was so great to see her again and compare experiences. It was only for Bangkok area so I didn't get to see any of the other sisters but it was definitely an experience. We had the option to study together at the church but we decided we wanted to go out and invite haha. Two greenies out in the city on their own for 4 hours ahahahahaha. Two of the Elders helped us find a taxi and told him where to take us and then we were off. We had the goal to get 5 people's info to set up return appointments. It was rocky going with our language skills but we did it and it was cool to see how our different strengths complimented each other. I have a hard time being forward enough to start the conversation and I'm really no good at small talk but Sis. Knight is great at it and had no problem going up to people and getting us started but then I am better at getting our message across quickly and knowing when to ask for their information so it was cool to see how it worked out like that. And we know Heavenly Father was helping because we got kicked out of the neighborhood right when we started heading out even though we'd been knocking doors for over 2 hours.
Phii Nang เนง is doing alright. She had some problems with her teeth that had her going to the doctors all the time and she works like crazy so we only saw her once and she didn't come to church but she's okay. She's still excited and praying everyday and trying to fit reading in. We'll probably have to push her date back just because we need to have her at church a certain amount of times but she's still wanting baptism so thinks are looking good. We have one other baptism coming up, she's been coming to church for over a year but has a boyfriend from Africa who has to go back to get papers before they can get married but she finally said she doesn't want to wait anymore and so we set a date for her in November. We're working on moving it up though, we think we'll be able to.
Got to go but i'll write better next week!
Sister King

No comments:

Post a Comment