Monday, November 7, 2011

MEOW Letter Home: 10/10

Kroobkrua and Purran,
I'm trying to figure out if it feels like it's been a month or more, or maybe less. It really is like you're in a time warp on the mission. I thought the MTC was weird but throw in a different country and a full schedule and I don't know what to think.
I actually haven't been getting Jordan's emails. If you want us to send those emails straight to each other that's fine. The last one I got he started with the Utes so just let us know. I'll send this to him as well. And anyone can email me. I just don't have much time at the place so I have to print everything off to have time to read it all.
I'm glad BYU seems to be getting into the groove, that's what I like to hear! I did get both postcards from you so thanks! I have the one of Salt Lake sitting on my headboard thing. I miss the mountains!
So it ended up that I had to watch conference in Thai. I was actually really disappointed but the Branch President wants to get it in English for me so I can watch it on a preparation day if I want. I think the DVDs ended up at the next city over. I loved seeing the familiar faces and just the familiarity of conference and the power in our leaders. It was a bit rough to not understand anything for 8 solid hours but like I said the familiarity of it all made up for it a bit. I do have 4 pages of notes from conference but I won't share any because they're way random. It will probably be really funny to read what I wrote and compare it to what was really said. Mostly I just heard a word I knew and wrote down my thought based on those things or what I thought the general direction of their talk was. Pretty sure I missed the point most the time haha Other times I just started thinking abouth things and wrote so some of it isn't related at all. It seemed like a really good conference though :)
You asked where the other sisters in my district went and I forgot to tell you. Sister Knight is the only other sister in Bangkok with me. Elder Thacker, Elder Whitaker, Elder Petersen, and Elder Slack are all in or very close to Bangkok. Elder Thomas went up North but is still below Chiang Mai. Elder Crawley is in the Isaan on the Border in the North East I believe. Sister Roper is in Roi Et, Sister Murray is in Udon, and Sister Carper and Sister Monterrosa are in the same house in Ubon. We had some sad news on Thursday. At the service project you heard about I got to see Sister Knight, Elder Thacker, and Elder Whitaker. Elder Whitaker told us that at 7:00 that morning Elder Slack had gotten on a plane home. His knees are awful and it's to hard to walk and bike so he has to get knee surgery. The recovery is supposed to take 6-8 months so he probably won't be able to come back. We're all super sad about it. He was one of our zone leaders in the MTC.
So today I just want to tell you about this incredible investigator! Her name is Meow (kind of like a cat) Our first time teaching her was on Thursday. She came to the church last Sunday at about 1:00. We didn't see her but the other sisters talked to her and introduced the church a bit. When she came in she was apparently super sweaty and out of breath. She told the sisters that she knew church was over but she had run here to make sure she could talk to someone. That night the sisters told us that she was in our area and to commit her to baptism. So we didn't see her until Thursday night. We planned to talk about Heavenly Father, family, and to focus on prophets so we could invite her to conference. As we got to know her a little bit she said her mother had encouraged her to find a Christian church to attend and that's why she came to ours. She has a lot of faith in God and Christ because of her Mom but most of her knowledge is through her Mom. But as we started teaching it was apparent that she is ridiculously prepared for our message so we pretty much ended up teaching the entire first lesson. When I was saying the First Vision it was crazy. She knew what came next pretty much. She said a couple words before I said them. It was so weird! We commited her to baptism and she is so excited. We visited her the next day and right away she told us that ever since we had asked her to pray about Joseph Smith she felt so energized. She woke up so refreshed, she didn't even want coffee in her ovaltine. Poddii (I can't think of the word for this, kind of "of course") We had planned to talk about the Word of Wisdom. When we did she mentioned again that she did drink coffee but she'd totally give it up for God. She came to both sessions of Sunday conference and is having us send her mom a Book of Mormon (her mom's in the Isaan). I can't even explain how weirdly prepared she is. Sister Naegle says she's never had anyone like this. We're able to teach a lot faster and deeper with her and she loves everything. It is so true that there are people prepared for this message. I didn't think I'd see it this obviously. You hear it in stories from other missionaries sometimes but in Thailand it feels like it takes a little bit for them to start getting it. Probably because it's such a new concept. I love seeing everything make sense to her. It's a huge testimony of the reality of God's plan and how perfect it is. It just makes sense.
Anyway, things are going well. I'm sending some pictures in the mail soon because I just never have time on here but I'm working on being better at taking pictures. Thanks for all the emails! I love hearing about everything!
Love you!
Sister King

No comments:

Post a Comment