Monday, November 7, 2011

THE BOOK OF MORMON Letter Home: 10/17

Sawadii,
So I'm guessing you've heard a bit about the flooding in Thailand. Apparently it's a pretty big deal. I guess around 300 people died in one area. Don't worry though, no flood here yet. And if it does come, we live on the 4th floor so I think we'll be good. I guess some areas around Bangkok have had huge problems with it and everyone here is way worried about it but they've said it's supposed to flood for like the past week and we have yet to see it. We prepared our house and everything but I think, at least in our area, everyone's overreacting. Every person we talk to says something different. So no flood, yet, but it's funny because it still affects our work a little bit. People have cancelled appointments with the excuse of "nam tuam". That's pretty much all they say. We've learned to stop trying to explain that there is no water right now so we can come visit. They just keep saying "nam tuam" haha.
We had a great week with our daters. Phii Meow, the one I wrote about last week, is doing awesome. We've had her as an investigator for 11 days and have taught her basically everything and she drinks it all in. I'm trying to remember that she still hasn't been baptized. She's seriously incredible though. I mentioned that her mom is the person that helped her develop a testimony in Christ. Her mom lives outside of an area in the Isaan about 100 kilos but we're trying to get the Elders there and because it's a referral they should be able to go. But she got the Book of Mormon we sent to her this past Wednesday and don't worry, she finished the entire thing by Saturday, no prob. Ridiculous! I'm telling you, these two women are amazing! So Meow and her mom talk on the phone everyday and read the scriptures together and talk about them. On Sunday Meow shared an experience her mom had. Like I said, her mom was already Christian and the sect she belongs to is just the one that is closest to her house so the missionaries from that sect come and visit her every week or so. But she basically has nothing and they always want her to attend their activities but it costs money. I'm not really sure what "activities" include but she doesn't go every time because she doesn't have the means. So the missionary-type people were giving her a hard time, telling her she didn't have enough faith and would go if she had faith. So she was really hurt by that and then they saw the Book of Mormon on her table and asked where she got it. They said it was the wrong color (their bible is light blue) so she must've gotten it from farangs (white people). They told her it was false and said they would take it for her and go burn it. I love picturing this little woman clutching the Book to her chest and telling them to leave. The missionaries haven't even met her and she knows it is true! I love it! That is one thing I tell my investigators every time, that the Book of Mormon has omnod (power). That you feel it when you read it. This woman I don't even know just reaffirmed that for me.
Gib has been working like crazy. We hardly talk to her which is not good because we're supposed to be in contact with daters everyday. So we were a bit worried about her but luckily, when we talked to her on Sunday everything is great. She is completely on track and has an apartment all set to move into before she gets baptized. We realized that she is working on Sundays though. I think her work changed awhile back and so we didn't know and she still came to church so we didn't even think to ask. But we talked to her and she was really nervous about it but said she'd ask her boss if she could switch her day off to Sunday. She said if he said no that she would just quit. We were so happy to see her take that step of faith. So we prayed with her before she left the church to go to work. 2 hours later she called and everything was fine. Her boss let her switch!
We were a bit worried about Fawng as well. She had accepted the commitment to be baptized right off but as we taught her the next two times it seemed like she didn't really understand the magnitude of what we were offering her. She wants to be friends but she was like, "You want to meet to talk about Christ the whole time again?" So it was like she wanted what baptism promised but didn't get the how big of a deal it was. But we taught her again and she has soooo many great questions so we decided to just answer them with scriptures, every single one. Finally she was all, "It seems like the scriptures have the answer to everything, I really want to go and read them right now." Nunlet! (exactly) She got it. We'd explained that to her before in almost exactly those words but until she saw it for herself she didn't understand. It was awesome. Again, the Book of Mormon is sooooooo true!
Our last dater is Phii Subeen. He's an interesting story as well. We've only taught him twice but it was him who came to us as well. So he has come to English the last couple times and is way gang (skilled) at English so he is in the class I teach. We actually heard the branch president joking with him that he was a neverending investigator. Apparently he'd learned with the missionaries years before and would come to English off and on. So it was really interesting when he came up to us an asked to start learning with us. Of course we accepted but we didn't know what to think. But at our first lesson he told us that he is looking for something to bring happiness to him and his family. He didn't remember everything he'd learned before so we reexplained our purpose as missionaries and what the Book of Mormon is and he was all, "This is exactly what I've been looking for. I don't remember how the missionaries explained it to me before but if I knew the importance of what they were teaching me, I would've read this from then on."
So I guess my entire letter this week is about the Book of Mormon. I didn't really realize that all these stories were so focuse on it until I wrote this haha. But seriously, it is the most powerful thing on this planet, no joke! Read it! Everyday. I can promise it will make a difference in your day and your week. Tangible evidence that God knows and loves us and that He works through revelation today. I love it!
Love you all! Seriously though, read it!
Sister King

No comments:

Post a Comment