Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Lauren's Letter home 7/28/11

Krob krua!

Happy Pioneer Day on Sunday!

Things are dii maag (very good) here at the MTC. Just living the routine.

Today we went to the Temple for the first time since we've been here. All missionaries get to go to the temple once a week while in the MTC but we came in the week they closed the Provo Temple for some reason so today was our first chance. My second ever session was great. It was fun to have the video so the experience was completely different. I did just fine on my own. My khuu (comp) was going for her second time as well. It was actually only her second time ever, she'd never done baptisms for the dead! The temple food was also a nice break from the MTC cafeteria. I'm fine with the food but it's nothing spectacular so the giant waffle with strawberries and whipped cream was a delight this morning.

So last night was exciting. We woke up at 2:00 am to this obnoxious buzzing. Turns out it was the fire alarm. The alarm in our room did not work so we finally noticed the annoying but muted alarm through our sleep. We were definitely the last ones out of the building. Luckily, it wasn't for real. We still have no idea why it went off or if it was a drill but we are definitley all a little worn out today. Oh, and it was only the sisters hall. It was pretty funny to see all the girls congregated in their pajamas just talking and laughing as the sprinklers came on while we waited.

On Sunday Sister Roper and I sang in sacrament meeting. We sang a version of Savior Redeemer of My Soul that I sang at BYU before the mission. It went well and I think really brought the Spirit to the meeting. Jordan and I are working on a song to audition for the devotionals or firesides. Yep, I convinced him :)

I got sick this week. It was lame. Luckily it's pretty much gone. It only lasted like 3 days, just a little bit of sore throat and stuffed up sinuses. I sang through it just fine though.

Let's see, oh, Sister Wanwirapab, the teacher from Thailand, spoke to her sister the other day who has been out on her mission in Thailand for about a year. Most likely one of us will get her as a trainer. Just a little intimidating! It would be great to have a native trainer but super hard too. I don't know how I feel about that. I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Our phii thais (the older district) leave on Monday morning :( They fly to LAX and then straight to Bangkok, crazy! We are going to miss them so much! Hunter Tolman is in that district. I can't remember if I told you. They are so much fun, it won't be the same with out those 8 Elders. Then, after a week by ourselves, we get our nong thais (younger district) and there are only 4 of them. Maybe a sister or two, we're not sure. Elder Gong left yesterday for Taiwan. I'll miss seeing him all the time as well. He'll be great. I gave him a nice big handshake, almost as good as a hug. That reminds me. We took a bunch of pictures with the phii thais and it's so goofy to take pictures with Elders. It doesn't look that bad when you're taking the picture but when you look at the picture the no touching thing just looks so awkward. You don't really realize it until you have to take pictures without touching someone haha. Oh well, we'll just have to take better ones in 2 years.

My camera is great by the way. We can't upload pictures to the computer in the MTC but we will be able to in the field. In the meantime, I just put in an order for some prints so I will be sending you some pictures soon.

Is Roy Smith the Smiths on our street or where did he live. I can't picture him right now. I'm sending you my thank you notes in a package so if you could get them out that'd be great.

Casey is so great, if you haven't already told him, tell him hi for me! So the departure date thing, I really don't know. It says we're scheduled for Sept 5 which means I will be here for 9 weeks and 6 days. Not sure how I feel about cutting the learning short :s Someone said they might be trying to totally do away with 12 week programs which would explain the shortened time but I'm not sure. I hope I get to see Ethan but I guess we'll see.

Grandpa wrote to me about Mason and scout camp. Sounds like quite the week. I think it was probably very good for him :)

Oh Harry Potter. It does seem like a huge part of life. Can't believe it started when I was in elementary! Maybe I can get a Thai version a reawaken the newness of it haha

I'm so excited for a temple in France! That is great! Versailles, yes? Does that mean there will be 2 soon? Don't they have land in Paris as well?

Anyway, time is running out but if you have more questions let me know. It's kind of hard to know what you want to hear since everyday is pretty much the same.


Rag,

Sister King

No comments:

Post a Comment